A Few Things

I’m trying to pick out lost popcorn stuck in between his back teeth, helping her find her purple and pink flower pencil, and nursing my baby.  Simultaneously.  

The past 5 years have taught me a few things.  I think.  I’m pretty tired, so I’m not sure.  But I think I’ve learned a few things.

Like a crying baby, when it’s my own, does something in my brain that makes everything else around me fade and the cry stick out.  It hurts.  It has to stop.  

I’ve learned that more toys equals more chaos equals crazier mom equals stressed out home.  Less is more.  Everything has a place, and it needs to be there by the end of the day.  

Walking into a room with a bed that is made is much more calming than walking into a room with blankets on the floor.

I’ve learned how to change a diaper.  In my calculations, I have changed 3285 poopy diapers and 4211 wet diapers.  Approximately.  I’ve got it down pat.  We can be standing.  Lying down.  Singing.  Crying.  Whatever.  I’ll get ‘her changed.

I’ve also come to realize that there isn’t much that a bit of chocolate can’t fix.  

And oh, I’ve learned I know nothing.  My anti-bribing pact has faltered a few or lots of times, and my resolve to remain calm has failed once or many times.  When I think I’ve got it down, I’m reminded I don’t.

Being a “lazy” mom has its benefits.  The kids learn to play together, find things to do with what they have, fight, and resolve.  And I get to close the door and breathe.

I’ve learned all the lyrics to Raffi’s Baby Beluga.  Can sing it in my sleep.  When I get to sleep.  

When mommy is happy, we have a happy home.  When mommy is cranky, we are all cranky.  Fortunately and unfortunately, the overall mood of our home depends on me.

Our kids will be as our kids will be.  We have less influence and impact on them than we’d like to think.  What a relief.

Ignoring my kids to pay attention to my husband is the way to go sometimes.  But it’s harder than it sounds.  

Pretending the tantruming child in the mall isn’t mine doesn’t change the fact that he is.

You can buy anything with Lightning Mcqueen printed boldly on it.

You can love a second a third child just as much as a first.  Don’t know how that is, but it is.  

The more I don't know about God the more I like Him.

And finally, I’ve learned that I can run marathons later, sleep in a few years, go to the washroom by myself another day, and shower another time.  

For now, I have a special pencil to find.  And popcorn to dig out of a little mouth.  



Comments

  1. I love it. Especially the last few lines. There will be a time when life is much calmer, and less fun. Juggling them all takes talent and you've got it! Yes, it's ok to breathe and take a break but you've got lots of love and at this point that's just right. I was once told that the more you know the more you know you don't know. I'm pretty sure that applies to God. Love from your #1 admirer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl. True story. And you've got a wee babe in the house, which multiplies everything by 1000. :) Keep running and showering, whenever you can, and keep your relationship with your husband strong too. I've learned that the kids can go play by themselves while I take care of me and take care of my marriage.

    Their hair!!! I love it!!!! And double yes to a made bed and to chocolate. :) That's a lot of diapers mama. Wowie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts